Join us live for Sunday worship outdoors, indoors, or online!
We have three opportunities for worship on Sundays.
- Sunday, 8:30am in English, Outdoors when weather permits, otherwise indoors (sign-up here, bulletin here)
- Sunday, 10:00am in English, Streaming and limited attendance. (sign up here or watch online here, bulletin here)
- Domingo, 12:45pm en español, interiores libre y transmisión en vivo en Facebook (regístrese aquí, mire en línea aquí, boletín aquí)
You can also watch our 10am liturgy below!
CURRENT WORSHIP DURING THE PANDEMIC
- 8:30am Holy Eucharist in English — As long as the weather permits, this liturgy will remain outside for the time being. If weather is inclement and the liturgy is moved indoors, those who signed up will be informed as soon as the decision is made—unless the inclement weather happens the morning of worship. This liturgy also enables you to attend and remain in your car but listen to the liturgy on your FM radio.
- 10:00am Holy Eucharist in English — This liturgy continues to be streamed live on our YouTube channel (www.youtube.come/SJEGrandHaven). Additionally, the Nave has been prepared with 12-foot social distancing between pews and only one household allowed per pew. This makes room for nine households any given week to attend worship. To reserve a space, sign up online at the parish website (www.sjegh.com) or by contacting the Parish Office. In order to make it a bit safer, the liturgy has been shortened slightly by removing two hymns. Additionally, communion will be brought to you in your pew to limit movement in the Nave.
- 12:45pm Holy Eucharist in Spanish— This liturgy continues to be streamed live on Facebook (http://facebook.com/EpiscopalLatinoGH/Live). People may also sign up to attend in person, using the same distancing practices outlined for the 10:00am liturgy in English.
We also now offer two opportunities for Holy Eucharist during the week:: Mondays at 5:30pm and Wednesdays at Noon. The Monday service will be a simple service from the prayer book and the Wednesday service will be Holy Eucharist and Healing with prayers for healing (but no laying on of hands or anointing with oil). Both will be simple said liturgies in the Nave so that attendees may be significantly spaced out. Our hope is that these liturgies will be helpful options for those who do not feel comfortable with Sunday attendance, but might feel comfortable worshipping in our Nave knowing there is only the priest, one other worship minister, and likely only a couple other people.
THE BUILDING AND OTHER PARISH MINISTRIES
The Parish Office remains closed with clergy and staff available by appointment only. However, we are still trying to help those who we know will be most affected by this pandemic:
- Our Loving Spoonfuls Meal Ministry will continue but with a strict “curbside only” system. That means that an extremely limited number of volunteers (no more than five) will prepare the food in our publicly licensed kitchen. (Meals prepared at home may not be served publicly, according to Ottawa County Health Department Guidelines). During our regular serving times on Sunday afternoons and Wednesday evenings, a table will be setup outside the West Entrance and to-go containers with the hot meal for the day will be made available for pickup. Every effort will be made to avoid person-to-person contact so that the hungry may be fed while reducing risk for contagion
- Our Food Pantry will now shift to appointment only. Please call 616-842-6260 ext. 21, and leave a message. Your call will be returned and a pickup time will be scheduled between Monday through Thursday.
It is entirely possible that situations could shift for the better, enabling the lifting of restrictions, or things could worsen, requiring even more restrictions. Church leaders will continue to monitor this situation and respond to the advice and counsel given to us by the medical community and the wider church.
Welcome to St. John’s Episcopal Church! Our Sunday worship in English is at 8:30am and 10am and in Spanish at 12:45pm. Sunday school and adult faith formation is at 11:30am from September through May. In the summer months, the Spanish service is at 11:45am
We are a parish of the Diocese of Western Michigan in the Episcopal Church. We are a diverse Christian community, following Jesus’ teaching through liturgical worship, transformation in the mind of Christ, and the pursuit of reconciliation and justice in God’s creation. This is summarized by our motto: Worship God. Be Transformed in Christ. Change the World. We encourage you to read our welcoming statement here to find out more about us.
If you are visiting our area, we welcome you to come and worship with us. If you are seeking a church to call home, we would be honored if you would spend some time with us to see if we might be that place for you.
If there is anything about our church that you are having trouble finding on the website, please contact us so we can help.
The Episcopal Church welcomes you!